Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Come With Me To My Death Machine!

Today I applied at a cereal bar that is about to open by my house. I began to question whether this was a compromising of my principles. I have previously been outspoken against the concept, and I still think it is a pretty dumb one. A restaurant that only serves cereal? Come on. When I first saw this concept on the Food Network a while ago, I was a little irked by its impetuous premise: All you do is pour fucking milk in a fucking bowl and I have to shill out 7 fucking dollars? Fuck. I saw it as a fad, another indication of hipster-elite non-restaurants that throw in our face how silly they are. It didn't seem to be devised by or tendered towards true cereal connoisseurs as it simply shills out your basic O's and flakes and wheats and whatnot. No surprises, no obscure brands, no real soul. Do you people really feel a cereal bar is something that ought to exist, or is this for the buck? There is no artisanship involved, no passion for the subject. Boo on cereal bars, basically.

On the other hand, I like cereal a lot, and the idea of being able to stop by after class and just get a bowl of Lucky Charms without having to buy the whole damn box is slightly appealing. It would seem silly if a bowl was comparable in price to an actual box, but who knows? I really just assumed gastronomical prices because I am one of those cynics who yells at TV. Also, cries of "you're not really doing anything for me I couldn't do myself" change their face when behind the counter. All of a sudden the place is simply a really easy job, one that is nearly impossible to fuck up, plus I'm sure I'll get to eat tons of cereal. I truly have a passion for cereal, one that has declined in my "grown-up" days (mainly just because it's out of my price range). I could talk your ear off about some pretty uninteresting things, and I have a true love of the confection. Cereal sort of deserves better recognition, there's nothing wrong with raising awareness. The issue I have is it seems these bars don't share my passion. But perhaps that could all change. If I worked there, I would talk cereal all day, eat cereal all day, discuss cereal with other cereal patrons and work over the history of cartoon figureheads who love to eat wheat despite being lions. I have a desire to change the industry, to turn it into a haven for other cereal-philosophers to come and find those rare cereals they can't get anywhere else. When I took a look at the menu, I was a little bothered. All real basic stuff, no real imagination involved. No Cracklin' Oat Bran? No Boo Berry? No King Vitamin? I could sneak into the dorm cafeterias and steal the same selection they have. I really would love to see them branch out and try some weird cereals that may find a niche market and open up new possibilities of what a cereal bar can be.

My hope is that my interview is simply me discussing how much I love cereal rather than "Can you pour two different things into a bowl also with a spoon oh and how about mopping is that a thing you do". Fuck that. Ask me my opinions on the Mikey commercials remakes, the rumor of the discontinuation of Wheaties, the tragic death of the other two Cinnamon Toast Crunch chefs, and the reprehensible change in focus of Cookie Crisps appalling dog-centric ads. You ought to have to write essays to work at this place. Every employee had better have a deep interest in the field, otherwise I believe I'm in for a big disappointment. But if I work there, I can perhaps be a driving force for change, and hopefully revolutionize the industry.

Basically, when it comes down to it, I don't believe applying there is a corruption of my principles because having a job in the first place goes against what I believe in. Corporations, money, and especially working dipshit jobs are all evil and wrong, but thats what living in a capitalist society is. I gotta eat, so I gotta get a job. Might as well be one I can eat cereal at all day.

9 Comments:

Blogger T Kwong said...

Well, it is a corruption of your stance against cereal bars, but I support the Jack eating campaign.

Also: isn't it hipster-elitist of you to require that people that work there should love cereal as much as you do? That's a pretty big bowl to fill.

I too mourn the death of those chefs.

-Thomas

7:46 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Well, maybe it's asking too much that everybody like cereal that much. But come on. If you work in a record store, you should have some cursory knowledge and appreciation for music. I'm merely drawing on this same principle.

Also, my stance against cereal bars was never terribly virulant. It's not the same sort of violation of principles that, say, being a telemarketer or one of those guys who hands you small bits of paper on the street would be.

12:47 AM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

True, but it doesn't seem fair to expect people that work in service to know anything more than enough to help you, the customer, make informed decisions. Record stores are more like libraries, where you need a lot of knowledge to be able to help people. At a restaurant/bar I don't think you need anything more than to know if it's tasty. I mean, isn't that what this is all about, helping people enjoy cereal? I'm not trying to smack you down, I'm just trying to lower your expectations of your fellow workers because we both know they will disappoint.

Re-reading your post: I'm sad you didn't mention the killing of the second, smarter Cookie Crisp thief dog.

-Thomas

9:18 AM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Well, I did mention the shift in commercials. There is nothing to say that the crook dog is dead; he and the cop disappeared so it is possible he went to jail and the thus the cop is no longer needed in the picture. The fact that the dog is now a good guy who shows up at schools with cookies for all the sweet lovable children implies to me that the crook dog kidnapped and beat him into submission in order to use him as his personal slave and henchman. Of course this backfired as the dog would yell "CoooOOOOOoookie Crisp!" and the letter O would fly everywhere, ending in catastrophe and foiled plans. The dog has seen therapy, gotten rehabilitation, and is now incredibly lame.

12:06 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

good luck with your job search.

9:00 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Your tale of the Cookie Crisp dog is awesome. Boo on lameness, up thief dog!

-Thomas

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Jack wasn't old, but he was a man.
He lived in the sand at the Isle of Man.
The kids would all sing, he would take the wrong key,
So they rode on his head in their furry donkey.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a pretty great roommate who dropped out last semester, but we'd always try to find the stupidest things on youtube, you know, like everyone else ever on the internet. We went through this phase where we'd look up old commercials for obsolete breakfast cereals..Donkey Kong Cereal, C-3P O's, etc.

Apparently before the cop/crook/dog ads, in the 1970's Cookie Crisp's mascot was some type of wizard/warlock named Cookie Jarvis?

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box516.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BXuCFce9Q

Yeah, sorry for irreparably fucking you up with this startling revelation!

12:33 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

COOKIE JARVIS FUCK THE WHAT

This shit goes deeper than I ever imagined.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter