Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Reference

When I was a kid, I used to look out the window during car rides and imagine a cross-country skier riding alongside us at the same pace. This skier would jump over any obstacle that came in his way, sometimes resorting to riding on power lines and hopping atop cars. Often he would get hit by things and get quite badly hurt, much to my amusement. But this wouldn't impede the intrepid skier; he would continue on as long as the car was driving. When we finally parked the car, he would do a little skid thing to stop and then sit down with a well-deserved cup of cocoa.

When I was a kid, I used to play with my hands and create characters by shaping them in different ways. It was quite extensive, with a cast of characters ranging in the hundreds. They would go on adventures that ranged from epic to mundane. It was done as a television program. I talked for them by speaking and lip syncing the words with my finger movements. There were heroes and villians and a wide array of finger arrangements, including the rock and roll horns (with optional pencil attachment for further display of evil) and the middle finger bird. I continued this for a good portion of my childhood life. The first thing I said to this kid on the bus on the first day of first grade was "What are your hand's names?". Somehow we stayed friends.

When I was a kid, my mom made me hang out with this kid that everybody hated because she wanted him to have friends. There was a reason he had no friends. The first time we hung out he made me spend all recess under the playground away from everyone. I really wanted to go out and play, but he made me stay there. My mom sent me to his house once and we played Mario. He killed off Luigi every turn so he could get this secret which he claimed existed, so I never got to play because he died every time he tried to get it. I never hung out with him again, disobeying my mom. Later in junior high he sat behind me and yelled the names of Pokemon.

When I was a kid, I watched the Simpsons special where they tell you all the behind the scenes stuff. I was big into Simpsons trivia, so I wanted to write down what I didn't know. I wrote "NRA4EVER" on a small slip of paper, because supposedly that's what the register said when Maggie is swiped. My mom found it and talked to me briefly about it. It was awkward. The actual message was $847.63.

Apparantly, the first album I ever bought was a cassette of Kriss Kross' Totally Krossed Out. I was six.

14 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

When I was a kid, me and my best friend became fascinated with wrist rockets. The wrist rocket was sort of an over-engineered slingshot, with this extension that folded down and braced against your forearm to allow you to pull back harder while keeping your aim stable. One time, I wanted to take out the streetlight in front of our house. I aimed from our upstairs window and let fly. The rock totally missed the actual lamp, but, in a moment of transcendent beauty, curved up at the last instant and obliterated the daylight sensor that turned the lamp on when it got dark. It was an incredible shot I never would have made on purpose. Later, my friend shot me in the ass from a distance of about 10 feet while I was bent over collecting more rocks.

5:40 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh Jack...

sniff.

Ok, when I was a kid we played horses under the big willow tree. The willow tree was huge and it was the barn. We thought no one could see us under there. Later, much later (but still kind of a kid) I made-out under that tree.

With a girl.

We were right, no one could see us!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Chance said...

wait, you heard me yelling out the names of Pokemon in junior high??? I thought that was in my head! man, that's awkward.

2:15 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

That wasn't you.

Though you are awkward and creepy.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jack this is Anand. fuckin' josh ross! i totally remeber that kid. in second grade i drew a satirical comic of him saying "i suck." it entertained me for weeks. i also remember that your right hand was named five and his arch nemisis was a hawk-like hand shape whose name was conviently named hawk. wow good times.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah and grammer and spelling are over rated

5:53 PM  
Blogger joey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:20 PM  
Blogger joey said...

Holy shit, Josh Ross! I had to go to Discovery Club with his ass every summer. He was a wierd one. I had no idea you ever hung out with him; must've been bad. You remember the Discovery Club teacher who went by the name of Jon Ron?

6:20 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Every person I've been friends with for a long time did the skier thing, just with some varience e.g. mine was a runner or ninja depending on how much silliness I was in.

-Thomas

8:05 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Grammar and spelling are overrated.

Josh Ross, man. What a silly sod.

Hell, Jon Ron, man! I haven't heard that man's name in forever! I really like that name; maybe I'll make him a charecter in something.

I'm glad other people do the skier thing. I had never heard of anyone doing it before. Mine was always a skier. Not sure why. Even in summer. My mind attempted to justify it somehow, but obviously it failed.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jack; this is Eva. When I was a kid and taking long car trips, I never saw a skier, but instead felt the compulsion to tap my foot/clench certain muscles in my leg whenever we went under an overpass. I used to love playing murder mystery games with my neighborhood friends. We would all get together and re-enact elaborate crime scenes for hours. We also liked to climb everything, particularly garage roofs, and go through the alley-ways to find cool junk to put in our forts.
I liked this post a lot; I'm basking in warm nostalgia, and think I'll go run around the block. P.S. I remember Josh Ross-- I went to Discovery Club with him, too. He was a weird kid.

6:51 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

Eva? Who's THAT Jack? What a very pretty name!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Jack you were an odd child, so was i. Were you ever a bully? I was. I was a dick.

Who is this Eva girl? Jack, are you a pimp daddy and we don't even know it?

3:32 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

I was never a bully, no.

Eva is my girlfriend. You all knew I was a pimp-daddy.

MB is foolish.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter