Sunday, April 10, 2005

Something Blue Is Certainly Going On In There

I really hate the feeling of becoming a standard college cliche. It's happened quite a bit lately. I laze around outside, throw Frisbees around and get drunk on the weekends. It's all so... normal. Ugh. And so here I am yet again in a very typical situation, this time of money struggles. It's like my life was written by the writers of Full House. This cliche of living cliches is really bothering me, because I can't seem to think of another word for it than cliche. Plus these problems I'm having are just so... lame. Doesn't anybody get kidnapped by pirates anymore? What happened to people losing their homework in a sewer and then meeting the king of the crocodiles? No, everybody instead succumbs to typical college problems, like the he-said she-said gossip bullshit, poorly made college food, and having a teacher who doesn't give you the grade you want and it's of course all their fault. Yawn.

So here I am strapped for cash. Here I am buying really cheap food and picking up nickels on the ground. So technically, nothing has changed, except that now it's just so obvious. At one point I was comfortable enough financially to not buy bottom of the barrel products and go up to second-notch-from-the-bottom. But now the barrel has a hole and I'm leaked back down to the base. I grappled with the issue of buying laundry detergent today, after spending as long as I possibly could avoiding thinking about laundry altogether. I figured it was time to do it today, as I have no more socks or underwear. So here I am buying the trusty and reliable brand known as "Ultra". I've never heard of Ultra, but god damn was it cheap. But now begin my issues with Ultra:

1. First off, buying the cheapest thing on the shelves is not always beneficial. What, you ask? More expensive products are better than cheap ones? Yes, my silly ignorant questionierre, not all products are created the same. You may think to yourself: "I'll buy the Ivory, as soap is soap and brand doesn't make a difference la la la la." You could be more wrong, but for the sake of overdramaticizing the situation, surely you could not. Ivory is the White Castle of soap. I made the mistake once of buying it, it being the cheapest thing there. Bad move, bucko. Clearly, at the Ivory company, "soap" is another word for "not soap at all but rather a chalky bar of hazmat that melts when in contact with water and snaps when touched". I can see why they shortened it down to the word "soap", because that's a lot of words to put on the label, and it's difficult to market a product that points out it's deficiences so accurately. I figure this Ultra is similar in this regard, being the cheapest possible detergent, and will have to see how many termite nests are in my clothes when I get around to putting them away.

2. The name. "Ultra". Now, granted, I have a problem with most detergent names, but this is usually out of their sheer silliness. Ultra, however, goes deeper, I think. Other detergents choose nouns, like Tide, or verbs, like Wisk, to name their product. But Ultra is an adjective. This is tricky. Ultra is clearly describing something, as is the nature of an adjective, but what is it describing? One might venture the assumption of Ultra Cleanliness, or Ultra Satisfaction, or even something as lame as Ultra Cuddly Time Freshness. But the vague nature here tends to provide my conspiritorial mind with all sorts of other possibilities, like Ultra Unclean, Ultra Inability To Work, or even Ultra Neo-Nazi Underground Death Camps! Do I want my $1.94 to support not only a Neo-Nazi death camp, but an ultra Neo-Nazi death camp??? No sir!

3. Of the selection of fine Ultra products was the 32 load detergent and the 16 load detergent. Now, I'm no economist, nor am I able to tie my shoes without the help of a fireman, but I still somehow can make the assumption that the 32 load is going to be more expensive than the 16 load, right? Wrong! The 16 load was about twice as much as the 32. This dynamic has always confused me. Why would anyone buy the more expensive one that is smaller? It doesn't make any sense. I considered buying the expensive one, actually, because something seemed amiss and I felt like I ought not to buy the clear choice; it seemed to obvious. Something was fishy here.

4. "Ultra"??? I still can't get over that name. How lame and dumb. Both.

Needless to say, despite all these factors, I bought it and used it. I'm cheap, and probably will be until the day I die. Not cheap so much as ungenerously or pettily reluctant to spend money. I don't really spend money on anything anyway. Plus I don't really have any. It's a nice combination.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have Tootie Frootys and Best Yet to enjoy.

16 Comments:

Blogger Wino McHackenpuke said...

I read the post about you being "hassled" by the cops, but it wouldn't let me comment on it for some reason. "URL Not Found."

Man, talk about what NOT to say to the police! Sure, you got out of the situation unscathed, but as much as you seem to dislike authority, realize that they can really fuck your life up. For a few sarcastic comments, it's just not worth it. People on the television show COPS don't understand this.

I found your post entertaining and all, and I agree with you, but shit, why press your luck?

Isn't it interesting, though, how people behave differently in groups? A single John Law might've called you a "scamp" and sent you on your way with a smile; but run into a few of 'em and you've got yourself some trouble. Each badge'll try and out-ego the other. Scary.

Why, I have a remarkably similar story, actually. I should really type it up on my blog in detail, but I'll give you a summary of some of the events:

It has just snowed. I decided to take what is usually a shortcut across a little stream and about four railroad tracks, but discover that the snow comes to about mid-thigh. Fuck!

So I trudge along regardless, pissed off, but too stubborn to turn back and walk across the out of the way, big-ass bridge. Then I see the cops in the parking I was heading towards. I know they see me, and I know they're waiting for me. Crossing the tracks is illegal, of course, and it's only now that look over my shoulder and notice that from their perspective, I'm literally framed inside a huge sign that reads "TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED!" Fuck.

The conversation between myself and the cops? (three cruisers in total showed up and a crowd gathered on the bridge overhead to watch) Let's just say I had to bite my tongue throughout.

Cop: Are you aware that I could ARREST you right now?

Me: Uhmm.. I am now.

Cop: Where are you coming from?

Other Cop: Do you want to take your hands out of your pockets please!

Me: Oh, sorry. (I let go of the six-shooters I have concealed within my pockets and show them my hands. I resist the temptation to make the "six-shooter joke.") Where am I coming from? Uh.. from school.

Cop: Oh, you go to school, do ya? What are you studying?

Me: English.

Cop: Oh, so I suppose you can READ, then?

Me: Yes--yes, I can read.

Cop: Then do you want to tell me why you didn't pay any attention to those "No Trespassing" signs!

Madening.

I got out of it, though, after they ran my license and saw that I had a clean record.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Etelmik said...

Dude, you should read Don Quixote. Yes, it's funny, and it's something worth reading on your own time. Not kidding. It'd answer half those questions. Except the laundry detergent part. Which is more than half. But the dealing with reality being boring? Oh yes. Good times. Good message on how to handle it.

And for all the people wondering about smurfed, he didn't post any additional junk. Wasn't him.

1:13 AM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

I always had a feeling sarcasm would be my undoing. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said any of that, but keep in mind I was a smidgen drunk at the time. Damn my big mouth.

1:22 AM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

I salute you, my brother in cheapness. Besides, everyone knows Marshmellow Mateys are tops.

-Thomas

6:42 AM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

We have *America's Choice*. Talk about irony that this cheap brand has that name.

7:18 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Yeah, well, you think your problems are boring now, wait until you're married and have kids (yeah, yeah, I know, no kids ever, like we were all gonna never do) and a job and a real life and a mortgage and shit. The boredom unfolds daily like the tablecloth you surprisingly now use.

I mean, I'm writing about weather and movies, for crissake. Nary a pirate in sight. Why do you think I flirt with you? To liven up my sorry excuse for a life, that's what!

Toasterpop is right about Don Q.

I bet America's Choice was the top brand at walmart, eh?

And April is just freakin' boring anyway. I loathe April.

9:03 AM  
Blogger joey said...

Hey, I always bought the cheapest thing on the shelf long before I was in college. Hell, in college I don't buy anything. You could start being true to your name and jack everything.

Its kind of a hard when you realize you're a generic college kid. Last week I started wondering if I was turning into a fake college hippie. Recently I refuse to get the hair cut, generally smoking lots of weed by myself in the forest, and (most terribly) listened to Dave Matthews the other day. I say if you want to be non-generic you should stop drinking and do some real drugs. I can't stand these college drinkers, a bunch of fools who deny to think - they are the fucking tools, the classless shit of society.

You still drinking 40s? Thats more gangsta/hobo then college; be proud of that.

9:04 AM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

Out of the woodwork...

Jack, Sex seems a bit grumpy lately, I think you should do something to pull her out of it.

9:57 AM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

I am proud of my Camo Ice; hoboest of the hobo drinks. At 9% alcohol and only $2 for a 40 oz, it's more expensive not to get drunk. The 5 X's stand for Quality!

"Jack, Sex seems a bit grumpy lately, I think you should do something to pull her out of it."

Pull her I shall.

11:50 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Jack, I just noticed your title. You clever boy, you!

7:26 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Ramen is essential.

Aren't I clever, though? Gee.

9:18 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

No, no, no. The Launndormat steals your socks and then sells them.

-Thomas

7:51 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

There you go you are learning, buy everything cheap, wine, beer, soap, women, cars, cigars, women, food, books women....then all your friends can call you "cheap bastard".

12:56 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

I would never call Jack a cheap bastard, then I would have to call myself one by comparission.

-Thomas

9:47 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Hey, just because I am stingy with money and was born out of wedlock does not make me a cheap bastard.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

But cheap bastard is a badge of honor....at least that is what I tell my friends

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter