Thursday, September 08, 2005

That Goes In There, You Go Up There

In the back room of the gas station sat an R2D2 Pepsi display, a little cooler on wheels in the shape of the classic robot. The top of the head was open for soda cans to be displayed and taken from, and when the cooler filled with water, R2 would pee it out out of a small tube by his feet. I saw this thing in the back room and immedietly knew I had to have it. My friend drove it home in his truck, and it subsequently got moved from house to house as each households parent got pissed about it being there. When finally it was time for it to be at my house, I too was cursed at for having it. I never understood the rage the parents seemed to feel for the lovable little bleeping and blooping robot. Is he not a relic, nay, a legend from their very generation? Our generation gets Jar-Jar, but you guys get R2, the huggable droid who warmed the hearts of many throughout his existance. And now you cast him out of your homes. For shame. For that which you do unto the least of my droids, you do unto me. And shit.

So R2 had to go. He had no home. I had no room to bring him back to Chicago with me, and no one would take him. It was sad, but I had to let the little guy go. We had some good times this summer; granted most of them involved me wheeling him from one house to another, but we did put a keg in him once, so he got to fulfill his calling at least once. Of course, it was 3:30 in the morning on the night before I left Minnesota when I realized I hadn't taken him out of my garage yet. So I decided to simply wheel him down to Aldine Park, set him on the swing, and let him contemplate life as he sat and peered on the heavens.

Goodnight, sweet prince, wherever you are.

6 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Now I see that you're not ignoring me... you're just sad!! Poor, poor Jack. I feel for you over the loss of your little robotic beer cooler.

By the way, we had plans to name our dog (whatever dog we got) Jack, but then we got a girl. Her name is Hannah. Sorry. But my neighbor got a dog and named it Jack, so just pretend it's in honor of you!

9:20 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

That's what you did with R2?! You son of a bitch, I would have taken him in!

R2! R2ooooooooo!

For the record: it was a rootbear keg, but that totally counts.

-Thomas

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R2D2 was my favorite Star Wars character when I was growing up. I had pajamas with him all over it. He still is my favorite, but I do not have R2D2 pajamas. However, if Victoria Secret started making an R2D2 nightie, I would totally wear it!

10:49 AM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

No way, I fucking asked around and nobody wanted him! You should've been more assertive. Ass.

10:58 AM  
Blogger joey said...

what up, Jack. Hope you found the NIN and Aphex Twin in your mailbox before you left.

12:57 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

Fuck that shit. I didn't even know he needed a home. ARGH!

Whatver, he's gone now... Like many fine things of yesterday, the summer, and tommorow...

-Thomas

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter