Friday, February 10, 2006

Like Two Carl Buddigs Tied To A Coconut Flapping In The Wind

I think I'm only writing this to see the little time stamp at the bottom staring back at me, reminding me the fact that I am still the fuck awake. I got some mad insomnia, quite unnecessary too. I feel like this is insomnia I could get over if I wanted to, but I clearly don't. I stay up late doing nothing, and I'm not talking "watched a movie with some friends/had a few beers/walked around the lake" type nothing. I'm talking full on nothing. Actual nothing. Like I can't even remember what it is that took up all this time because it was just that unremarkable. I ate an Arby's roast beef sandwich and watched an episode of Freakazoid!, I also spent much time tooling around on this here internet. I always feel like maybe if I do things on the sinkhole known as the interenet I will be bored eventually and the tired will hit, but that certainly hasn't been happening. Doing nothing only fuels my ability to stay awake. So here I am writing, writing nothing really, to try to eat up time before I can pass out. I still have a homework assignment to do, but I am always very slack when it comes to that shit. Slack yo. Slack.

There is nothing better than staying up real late and seeing someone else in the same state. You could do something as hat as watch TV with somebody you see every day, but set it at 4:30 am and suddenly it's an event. For me at least. I get kind of a religious experience out of staying up late. Maybe it's a leftover romanticism of it from childhood. I remember a time when I had to struggle to make it to midnight on New Years. Now I can't remember a night in the past 5 years where I went to sleep before 12. Telelvision is funnier at this late of a night. That must be why Jack Van Impe is on at 1130 pm on Sundays. Seeing another person up at the same time as you sets up an immediate connection between the two of you. We are both up this late. We share something. I have positive memories of my mother coming down to the kitchen at 1:30 in the morning for a midnight snack to see me watching telelvision; we shared snacks and stories. Then she slept and I stayed up. It was such a nothing experience, but for some reason there was something to it for me.

I tend to look at things in a different light when I'm up this late. I'm generally happy when I am. Things seem exciting and interesting, especially if they vehemently are not so. I don't know if anyone else understands; if they did, they'd be up eating a sandwich with me.

Here's to you people that are now asleep: I eat this sandwich for the two of us. Rock the natural world, I'll sit alone in my blurry-eyed daze and watch life hide it's blemishes.

2 Comments:

Blogger T Kwong said...

I tend to go to sleep regularly earlyish (9:00, 10:00, 11:00), with several outlying times at 1:00 or 2:00.

I think late night TV is funnier because your brain starts to lose a little grip on reality and therefore it's all hilarious.

Ectjw! A way to connotate numerous related topics, specifically Jewish ones.

-Thomas

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harness the power of slack; tilt the luck planes in your favor.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter