Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Too Much Bonch

I have felt unusually empty through this school year. I have nothing really going for me and nothing to give me a sense of well-being. I am nada. This is why I am leaving. I am giving up on trying to tough out this shit and am banking on the hopes that this is caused externally and not internally. Over this week that I have been back, I have continued to prove to myself that this is a good decision. Roommate interactions are as awkward as ever. Social interactions remain relatively stagnant. I hear the good fortune of others and immedietly see it as a reference point for a lack in my life. I am eating less. I am poor. And nothing happens to me. A saddening imprint of my ass on the couch when I get up to go to the bathroom is evidence of a wasted life. I'm too cheap to do drugs; if I weren't there'd at least be a pit stop on the way to depression.

But on Sunday I watched a movie with a group of friends like old times. We drank beer and ate too much crappy candy. Inappropiate sexual comments were flung about. It rained like God was angry and I got soaking wet.

Earlier that evening I stood up to use the bathroom after having sat down for some time. Once in the bathroom, I woke up on the floor with my face directly in front of the bowl and a slight pain in my skull. Apparantly I had passed out for a second and did a faceplant directly into the porcelain of an open toilet bowl. Luckily I was not peeing at the time (I've been down that road before, it is not a pretty site). There is now a cut in between my eyebrows and a lump that feels pain when I look down. I often have trouble with passing out for a quick second after standing up to fast, or something, but this has not happened to me in some time, and never to the point where I smash into a toilet bowl I-Ate-The-Worm style.

Today I had a friendly conversation with my roommate. This does not happen anymore, and I was delighted and surprised that any comments I spoke to him did not elicit a "Mmm" followed by leaving the room or a subtle ignorance of response or emotion, but instead with follow-up statements and rebuttals, even laughs and agreements. We were watching "The Simpsons", a long-time point of comradry between us, revelling in the joy of early episodes and the bane of post-9th-season blasphemy. We had not conversed as such in some time; even earlier in the day he flat-out ignored my comment on how my animation teacher works on The Venture Bros., a current favorite of both of ours and what I assumed would be a sure-fire conversation starter (I was saving it for just the right moment to spring this information on him, perhaps I picked the wrong time). Our light, yet brief, period in which we spoke reminded me that we were once friends and used to talk like this all the time.

I also met a man while walking down Armitage who interested me. I am not sure why he decided I was worthy of talking with, but he struck up a conversation with me on my way to walk around aimlessly about town. He asked if I liked rock and roll. He told me of an old boombox he had which was decrepid and falling apart but still worked. He asked if I got high. The conversation was brief and mostly muffled by the train passing by, but I learned that he had a 22 year old son whom he had never met and that his "Good Book" was written by Alcoholics Anonymous. Perhaps he was trying to tell me not to do drugs. He told me of Hindu spiritualism as the best high there is. He made an analogy about standing in the middle of traffic that I didn't quite understand. Perhaps he thought I was his son. He told me, should I ever need him again, to stick out my right hand and stroke my chin and he will appear. We shook hands and he left. This Lynchian introduction to a man most would've said "I don't have any change" and moved on caught my interest, as nothing else had really happened to me today. Looking into a sea of people in a city of names, you forget sometimes that some of these people are interesting.

None of these events deserve the name "events". If I hadn't just written them all down I'd have forgotten them by the end of the week. Essentially, nothing really happened, as nothing really came of any of these. But maybe that's where I'm wrong about nothing happening in my life. Just because they are of no consequence does not mean they didn't happen. Therein lies their consequence: They were significant enough to me for me to have remembered them after they happened. I am under the impression that a happy life is that in which interesting things happen to you at such a degree that events like these will not even register for me. But perhaps if I reach that level I'll be missing out on these little events, passing over their meaning in favor of something that affects me deeper. So maybe I'm not happy now. But things are happening. I can't forget that.

8 Comments:

Blogger T Kwong said...

I think your happy expereinces influence your, "... a happy life is that in which interesting things happen to you at such a degree that events like these will not even register..." theory.

When you're back in the TC, there's always something going on with people you know. Excitement manufactures itself because all of us enjoy face-to-the-wall activity. Probably because we have yet to shake off the child-like hyperactivity that so defines who we are.

For you to be happy in Chicago, I believe you would need something like that. In short: without the frantic pace that things roll in TC, you stagnate.

Auszjc: Acronym for the underrated Austrian Zebra Jumping Circus. Do the zebras leap over pits of fire or do all manner of things leap over zebras? Enter and learn...

-Thomas

11:03 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Things are happening all over. Truly. That we are bored by them is a reflection of the easy lives we lead.

"rysbnf"-- what a person on the date rape drug calls the date rape drug.

4:00 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Bullshit.

9:33 PM  
Blogger T Kwong said...

I'm with Jack; you make pretty much everything interesting, but that doesn't make the noun in question less boring, you've just managed to make it entertaining.

Nvvmnn! What record label executives thought was the title of Nirvana's smash hit album until Cobain called back sober.

-Thomas

12:50 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh come on Jack. If we had to work, really work, for our lives (by we I mean you and me--remember I've been a bored student too, and now I'm a semi-bored mom) think of how exciting a walk and a talk with a stranger would be. Think if we toiled in fields or as sex slaves or something, and then we miraculously got a day off and walk in the park or if we got to go to a bar, drink a little, have an intelligent conversation that consisted of more than "oh whore, do it to me"--think how we would enjoy it.

I'm not trying to be unsupportive of your boredom--god knows I got it too--nor suggest that we should go sell ourselves on the street so Christmastime with the fam seems actually fun. But what do we have our joys to compare to? Mostly other joys.

ddulinln--I got nothin. No, really, I think that's what that word means.

1:17 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

That's exactly what I mean. The fact that these incidents were exciting and interesting for me clues me in, by your definition at least, that my life is similar to that of a sex-worker or slave (which it isn't, which is why I disagree with you). "Interesting" does not connote joy. It means something is happening to you, good or bad. I wouldn't enjoy being a sex worker, but no could possibly tell me it was uninteresting. The boring for us would be a relief to them, but only interesting in that is a change of pace. I have no change of pace, and therein lies my issues.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you want something to be proud/happy about? How bout the fact that you are about 100 hits away from 10,000. Now that I must say is impressive

11:58 PM  
Blogger MC Harv said...

Wow, hey.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter